NETA: Adult Use Marijuana Q&A
A guide for our patients and the community
WHEN CAN I BUY CANNABIS AT NETA?
Patients can visit either of our dispensary locations in Brookline or in Northampton; both are currently open for medical purchases. If you are 21 years of age or older, you can officially visit both our Northampton and Brookline locations to purchase NETA cannabis and cannabis products for adult use! We encourage everyone to consider Reserve Ahead. It is fast and easy.
PATIENTS WILL ALWAYS BE OUR #1 PRIORITY
Patients can rest assured that NETA continues to offer the same wide variety of medicinal products that we always have in both Northampton and Brookline. In fact, some of these products are only available to patients. Additionally, patients have access to their own service stations, reserved parking, and will not wait in line outside of our dispensaries (same as today).
WE ARE DOING EVERYTHING WE CAN
In preparation for adult use, NETA hired more than 100 additional staff members. We have also nearly doubled the number of service stations at our dispensaries, and have dramatically increased production capacity. We continue to be committed to the promotion of safe and responsible use through consumer education, smart product labeling, and comprehensive staff training.
For parking information at our Northampton location, click here. For our Brookline transportation guide (getting to Brookline), click here.
WHAT IS ADULT USE?
In 2016, the citizens of Massachusetts voted “yes” on Question 4 to legalize recreation sales of marijuana to adults age 21 years and older. The regulation of medical marijuana remains unchanged. Details of the law relevant to the retail experience include:
- Any person over the age of 21 can enter a retail marijuana dispensary and will be required to present a government-issued ID (e.g. driver’s license, ID card or passport) for verification.
- An adult use consumer can purchase up to 1oz of flower or 5 grams of concentrate.
- Certain potency restrictions, including a 5mg serving size limit for edibles, will apply to non-medical products.
WHAT IS THE EXPECTED START DATE FOR ADULT USE AT NETA?
In Northampton, we have been open to medical patients + all adults 21+ since November 20th 2018. In Brookline, we have been open to medical patients + all adults 21+ since April 23rd 2019.
ARE PATIENTS STILL THE FOCUS?
Absolutely. We want our patients to know:
- Inventory: NETA reserves at least 35% of our inventory for our patients on a daily basis.
- Lines: Patients have the option to access separate, patient-only, service stations.
- New product innovation: Our facility in Franklin continues to invest heavily into research and is developing a pipeline of products designed to improve patients’ experiences and address specific medical conditions and symptoms.
HOW HAS NETA PREPARED FOR ADULT USE?
NETA has made a significant effort over the past year to prepare for adult use sales. Here are the highlights:
- Increased Production: We have nearly doubled our Franklin cultivation and processing facility’s footprint to increase and optimize production to support the additional demands of adult use.
- Double the store’s capacity: We have increased our customer service staff twofold and have remodeled the stores to offer nearly twice as many service stations.
- Reserve Ahead web app: This easy-to-use service lets you view the NETA daily menu, reserve your order online, and have it ready for you when you arrive the same day. All you need to do is register on our site at NETACARE.ORG/RESERVEAHEAD and you’re ready to order!
- Additional parking: In Northampton, we have a parking lot at the dispensary, and have worked with surrounding local businesses for even more spots. Click here for more information on parking in Northampton. In Brookline, we are offering additional self-parking at the Hilton Homewood Suites, located just up the street from the dispensary. Click here for our transportation guide. We continue to encourage our customers to utilize public transportation or other alternative modes of transportation. A T station is steps away from the dispensary.
WHAT WILL HAPPEN ON OPENING DAY?
This will be fun. But we are not taking our responsibility to do this right lightly.
- Brookline’s time to shine: Our Brookline dispensary is open for patients and adults 21+ starting Saturday, March 23rd. Be sure to check back here with more updates.
- Lines: Patients do not need to stand in line. Come right up to the door as you usually do and security will let you right in after scanning your ID. We will offer chairs, refreshments, and even ponchos (weather-dependent).
- Extended hours: Now providing even more access, NETA Brookline will be open for more hours. When NETA Brookline opens for Adult Use, we will be open Monday-Friday, from 10 AM – 10 PM, and Saturday-Sunday, from 9 AM – 10 PM.
- Limits: It is possible that there will be some initial purchase limits at NETA for adult use customers. Limits will be evaluated on a daily basis and we will remove or reduce them when we can.
- Safety and security: In addition to our own trained security staff, local police will be on site to help with traffic.
- Media: We kindly ask the media to please respect patients’ privacy. Any filming requires the permission of the subject patient. NETA will be happy to help facilitate interviews with patients, customers, and staff who are willing to share their experiences. Let’s celebrate this day together responsibly.
- Over staffing: For NETA’s employees and leadership, it is all-hands-on-deck in the first few days. We’ll be here to make sure everything runs smoothly for everyone!
DOES IT MAKE SENSE TO REMAIN (OR BECOME) A PATIENT?
Absolutely. Here’s why:
- NETA is continuing the $200 yearly vouchers program to help offset the cost associated with becoming, or staying, a patient. Just come in to NETA within 30 days of receiving or renewing your certification, spend $200 and then receive $200 in vouchers from us to use on your next visit! Learn more about this awesome program here: NETACARE.ORG/BECOME-A-PATIENT
- No tax: A 20% tax (adult use sales only) can add up. Patients do not have to pay it.
- It does not take long: The process to become a patient has been streamlined. Becoming a registered patient is easy and fast.
WHAT IS NETA DOING TO ENCOURAGE RESPONSIBLE USE?
This is a top priority for NETA. We take seriously our commitment to ensuring safe
and responsible consumption.
- Education: NETA has developed consumer educational materials that emphasize key elements, such as:
- The importance of “low and slow” consumption.
- Our “What product is right for me” guide.
- No driving or using heavy machinery under the influence.
- No public consumption.
- No traveling across state lines.
- Potency and tolerance tutorial.
- Safe storage.
- Substance abuse signs and resources for additional help.
- Packaging and labeling:
- All NETA product packaging is child-resistant.
- Consistent with the regulations for adult use, we have updated our packaging with revised warnings and clear information to ensure that people can identify products as marijuana-infused (e.g. edibles) and not safe for children.
- Retail staff training:
- We continue to train our staff to emphasize responsible consumption when interacting with consumers.
- NETA has retained a full-time training coordinator to continuously develop and manage retail staff training.